Monday, February 13, 2017

Prostate Health



Every once in a while when I'm looking through some of my entries on my Food Medicine Pinterest page I come across an interesting bit of information about health and the relationship to herb, or health food and men's prostate health the topic of this note. I make no medical claim here only a suggestion with the herbal cocktail you'll find at the end of this article. All of the listed ingredients are good for your health in general, but in this instance, I hope to apply the suggestion of herbal healing energy to the male prostate. Onions, garlic, and tomatoes should all be part of this year's crop for me. The Onions and garlic having a head start since I started growing them last year; tomatoes will be added this season.

For men, looking for a way to reduce the negative effect of free radicals on prostate cells it's believed that the antioxidants in veggies can accomplish that goal. Over a period of fourteen years, a study of some thirty-two thousand men seems to support the veggie antioxidant connection. The study showed an eleven-percent lower risk of BPH (or in medical terms Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia) or the term I finally understood; an enlarged prostate. The study compared the men who did eat their veggies to men who did not eat their vegetables regularly. The amount of vegetable that was used in the research added up to about one and a half serving daily or, about three cups of veggies per day.

I come from a family of T-Rexes, or true meat eating carnivores who for the most part have always believed that there was room on this earth for all of God’s wonderful creatures---right next to the potatoes. So it has taken me a while to incorporate more veggies into my daily diet. When I was younger I honestly felt the man did not fight his way to the top of the food chain to eat plants! But if you live long enough and pay attention to the effect a bad diet and poor health on friends and family, sometimes even on yourself you eventually make the connection (at least that is the way it was for me). These days I have some wisdom from years of dietary ups and downs, and witnessing the effects a healthy diet has to offer especially when it comes to energy, stamina, and health in general.

When it comes to the male prostate I should mention that Omega-three oil is believed to actually cut the prostate cancer rate. The theory made it to the testing stage when mice, genetically engineered to develop prostate cancer, were given the Omega-3 as a treatment. The Omega 3 in the fish oil actually slowed the progression of the disease to a crawl. The study focused on males with a family history of prostate cancer but the results were truly eye opening. The Omaga-3 fatty acid in fish oil capsules appears to have the beneficial effect of slowing progression of prostate cancer significantly. I would prefer to get my Omega-3 from eating the fish, whenever I can, but just in case fish is not on the menu for tonight fish oil capsules are the next best thing.

A piece of fresh fish (also chicken or turkey) on a plate loaded with vegetables just might be a life extender, maybe even a life saver for some.  Government information source  Here is the recipe mentioned in the beginning, for a pretty neat Smoothie to help with men's prostate health.

Blend
3 tomatoes
1/2 bell pepper
1/2 red onion
2 tbsps lemon juice
2 tbsps oatmeal
A dash of Himalayan salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp turmeric

No comments:

Post a Comment